Hi everyone! My name is Shaylise Sylvester! I’ll tell you a little about myself. 
I was born and raised in Fairbanks, AK. I just recently started school again at UAF after graduating with my Associate in Applied Science. I am now working towards a BA in Psychology with a minor in Art. I am planning on going on to graduate school to pursue a career in counseling. I'm very interested in gerontological counseling and art therapy. I currently work as a dental assistant for an oral surgeon, and I am a full-time student. When I am not working or doing schoolwork, you can find me blueberry picking, gardening, hiking, skiing, baking bread, eating chocolate chip cookies in coffee shops, and sometimes attending yoga classes. I also have a dog whose name is Roo. Her nickname is Rooty Roo. I take her everywhere with me, and I am pretty sure she is the smallest skijoring dog in Fairbanks- she loves it! I also have a love and passion for art in many forms. Like this painting… 



  • My grandpa backpacked throughout Africa in the '70s collecting African art and had an African art Gallery. I grew up in a home full of African art and sculptures. At an early age, my grandpa introduced me to have an art appreciation. I really enjoy the cultural varieties in Art. I also believe art can be healing and therapeutic. The art above “Chasing the Blue Bird” is one of my favorites of Ancient Soi. He is a well-known Kenyan artist in Africa. I linked his name above to an article. If you would like to read about his success as an artist. I also added a link to the painting. It has a beautiful and unique narrative that explains the cultural importance of community in Africa. 





Comments

  1. Beautiful picture and great intro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Love the art you included. The blue bird frequently represents an elusive happiness. Great name for a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is so cool that your grandparents got to backpack throughout Africa and collect art.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts